Subscribe to this feed Subscribe via Email
Goal, Objective or Purpose of Activity:
Teach sailors to pay attention - watch out for boom; fun
Appropriate Age Level: 8+
Minimum/Maximum Number of Participants: 5+
Set-up Time Required: 0 – 15 minutes
Activity Time Required: 15 – 30 minutes
Space Requirements: Open, flat surface (beach, grass)
1) Fender tied to a long line (~15’)
Procedure for Teaching:
1) Instructor stands in middle of circle created by all participants at distance equal to the length of the fender and line.
2) With the end of the line the instructor beings slowly swinging the fender clockwise on the ground.
3) Participants have to jump over the fender.
4) If the fender hits a participant they are out and become judges (outside of circle)
5) Coach can go faster and raise the fender (Careful!!!) as the circle gets smaller or participants prove themselves.
6) Last one to be hit wins!
Beware!!!! – Small children can get knocked down. Not advised to play on asphalt/concrete, Instructor may get dizzy.
· Ask participants, what was the purpose of that game? Does it relate to sailing? Watch out for boom?
Contributor(s): Emlie Barkow