Subscribe to this feed Subscribe via Email
Goal, Objective or Purpose of Activity: To teach participants to tie knots that work
Appropriate Age Level: 5+
Minimum/Maximum Number of Participants: Any
Set-up Time Required: 0 – 15 minutes
Activity Time Required: 30 minutes – 1 hour
Space Requirements: classroom, regular meeting area
1) Chair, table, tree or something to tie someone to
2) Multiple lines
Procedure for Teaching:
1) After lessons on knot tying, instructor sits in chair, lays on table or leans against tree
2) Participants have ten minutes to tie up the instructor any way they know how. SAFETY FIRST!!! Instructor can stop any line in a dangerous or personal area. Rope burn – ouch!
3) Instructor tries to get out (probably, hopefully)
4) Instructor’s turn to tie up participants – CAUTION!!! Are participants and parents comfortable with this?
5) Participants tied up well by instructors so they can’t escape. Learn how to tie knots better.
6) Participants are not allowed to tie each other (or siblings) up outside of class.
· What is the purpose of this activity?
· How did you do? What could you have done better?
· How does this relate to sailing/boating? The right knot for the right application.
· Did anyone feel uncomfortable being tied up?
Contributor(s): Josh Toso, Laser Performance